Monday, April 18, 2022

A short list of great books about Sápmi

 

Once again, I had the chance to recommend some books for Shepherd, a book discovery website. Last time it was books by and about seafaring women. This time it's books about Sápmi, including one of my favorites, With the Lapps in the High Mountains by Emilie Demant Hatt, which I translated from Danish about ten years ago. I wrote:

I’ve long loved the adventure, humor, and visual feast in this book, first published in 1913, and was eager to translate it and share it with readers curious about the high north of Scandinavia. Demant Hatt was a brilliant observer and an early immersive journalist who didn’t shy away from hard work, rough conditions, and learning the Sami language. 

For more recommendations, check them out here.


 

 


No comments: