Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Men Who Hate Women and Women Who Kick Their Asses: an anthology about the Stieg Larsson trilogy

I confess I haven't read this anthology, edited by Donna King and Carrie Lee Smith (published by Vanderbilt University Press in 2012), but I couldn't resist the title. A critical summary of the book appeared in the most recent issue of the journal Scandinavian Studies, considerably spicing up the review section and asking some interesting questions about feminism and crime in Scandinavia. About Stieg Larsson I assume I need to say very little, except that in Swedish the title of his first book was Men Who Hate Women. It became The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in the English translation.

Less provocative, but closer to my own heart, was a very encouraging review of With the Lapps in the High Mountains, written by Tim Frandy, a scholar whose work on the Sami I respect. He calls the translation "an elegantly written ethnographic narrative" by Emilie Demant Hatt.


No comments: