Thursday, May 30, 2013

Readings this weekend for With the Lapps in the High Mountains

With the Lapps had a lovely launch at the Nordic Heritage Museum May 21 in Seattle. The crowd responded to Emilie Demant Hatt's writing in the best possible way, by laughing at times and leaning forward at other times, caught up in her adventure driving a reindeer in hard, snowy conditions. It was a great honor and pleasure to be able to introduce this remarkable woman to English speakers. I also showed some slides of Emilie's photographs and artwork. Again, I was thrilled to see how the audience responded to her as an artist, as well as a writer and ethnographer.

This weekend I'm lucky enough to have the pleasure again of talking about Emilie. I'll be reading tomorrow night at the always effervescent Swedish Club in Seattle. Somehow, I just love that place, and the view from the dining room, where the event takes place, is spectacular.

On Saturday, June 1, I'll be at Elliott Bay Books, also in Seattle, and one of my favorite bookstores in the world. That's in the afternoon.

Information for both readings, and for a couple of upcoming readings around Puget Sound, are in the post below. Hope to see you there!

No comments: